Who am I?

Hello. My names Adam Greathead and i am a 23 year old gardener from Stourbridge in the West Midlands. I live here at 'Duck Pools' so named as we are fans and live amongst ducks (amongst other things). I live with my family and our little b order terrier Monty. All things plant-related fall to me as head Gardener.For about 10 years i have also tended two allotments (named vegetable garden from now on).
Beingpart of our localgardeningguildfor several years i am now vegetable judgefor our meetings and speakers secretary. I am also Secretary to NVS West Mids D.A.
I have written gardening articles for several publications and currently write for 'Simply Veg' magazine (available from NVS).

Friday 4 May 2012

Lords and ladies...

A clipped and shampooed Cookie
We took Cookie for another walk tonight. We took a route which took us through grassland and nice houin estates until we reached a large lake where a menagerie of ducks and geese reside, a really lovely place. Cookie had been taken for a shampoo and trim today and she did look lovely. I especially liked her bushy eyebrows!
Lakeside
On the way back i just happened to catch a glimpse of something in the hedgerow which, at this time, shootsup in abundance. The plant is Lords and Ladies (Arum) and throws up pale green/white spathes which, in autumn, are followed by bright brilliant red berries that the birds find irresistable.
We have a similar plant in the garden (Arum italicum) whose foliage is a lovely glossy dark green with white marbling. It grows best in moist shade but we have it growing in dry shade beneath a dense thicket of bamboo which just goes to show it can cope with any extreme.

No comments:

Post a Comment